As per last season there are some great avalanche awareness talks in Chamonix. The Avalanche Achademy do a series on Mondays at the Big Horn Bar in Chamonix Sud from 6.30pm for an hour. Content is in laymans terms covering what an avalanche is, how to avoid one and what to do if you or someone else gets caught in one. There is a bit about kit and where to get information and also the opportunity to share and ask questions. Always well attended so best to book through Eventbrite Online booking. The talks are focussed on the current conditions in the valley so even if you have been before it is well worth the time investment to go along.
Also Stian Hagen, an Arc’teryx Pro Athlete skier and UIAGM Mountain Guide, is hosting an Avalanche Awareness Seminar at the Arc’teryx Shop in Chamonix on 14th December from 1930hrs-2100hrs. Space is limited so booking again is Online.
Stian is holding a practical Avalanche Workshop on the mountain on the 16th December from 1400hrs to 1600hrs. Knowing that finding a victim quickly from an avalanche is not enough. Getting them out is the key. This is a practical workshop for searching and digging strategies. Sounds like a must do workshop. Booking Online.
- Thursday 14th December 1930hrs – 2100hrs at Arc’teryx – Avalanche Workshop with Stian Hagen
- Saturday 16th December 1400hrs – 1600hrs – Avalanche Workshop with Stiab Hagen
- Monday 18th December 1830hrs – 1930hrs – Avalanche talk at the Big Horn
- Monday 8th January1830hrs – 1930hrs – Avalanche talk at the Big Horn
- Monday 15th January 1830hrs – 1930hrs – Avalanche talk at the Big Horn
- Monday 22nd January 1830hrs – 1930hrs – Avalanche talk at the Big Horn